Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Long time-ish no see!

So here I am...sitting on the sofa with the lovely Violet Kirby (yeah, my cat :P) and wondering where to begin with this blog! But I guess that was the beginning. Phew! Glad that's over with. Lol.

I hope you had a brilliant Christmas and New Year! I had a lovely, relaxing time with my family before making the trip back to University. Since I got back to Uni it has been all systems go...I've been doing coursework and preparing for an exam we had. Ooh...I can post the coursework pieces here...they're instrumentals, and a little different, but I had fun writing them...and they still come from the same place that my songs do...

Number 1...Sky Cycle

 Sky Cycle by hollykirby

Number 2...Winter Flower Box

 Winter Flower Box by hollykirby

Please do let me know what you think! I'm still learning to write instrumental pieces, and any feedback is extremely, ever so, more than welcome. ;)

I also wrote this song. :) For a particular man who makes me very happy. No, it's not Alan Rickman. :P

 Lost In You by hollykirby

One might even go so far as to say that, I am in love....would you believe it? :P

It dawned on me the other day that I'm actually halfway through my time at Uni now! Geeeez. :-S Bit scary...however...I feel I have learnt so much there already. About life more than anything. (Though I have learnt some very useful stuff about music too! :P) And being able to live on my own...well I have housemates......but with myself, if you know what I mean. :) When you're completely dependant, you can only be a limited version of yourself...I don't mean that in a negative way...it's just that discovering things yourself is so important, and even though I kind of knew that before, I didn't fully realise it until I had to do it!

Oooh...I got a bit of very exciting news the other day! I'm supporting Joan Armatrading at the Yeovil Octagon in June! SO excited. :D I will leave you with this video...a great performance of her song 'Love and Affection' on Jools Holland's show...



I'm very excited about this...a little nervous. :P But sometimes the most nervousy gigs turn out to be the ones that leave me buzzing for days. :)

I'd better go to bed now...but I will be back soon...I'm sorry that I haven't blogged in a while. I will try my hardest to make the posts more regular...I also hope to post another video to YouTube soon, but at the moment I'm recovering from a horrible sore throat/cold combo. I'll get thinking during this time.

Night night peoples! :) And I hope you are all well. :)

Holly xxxxx

12 comments:

Larry said...

Hi, dear lady. :) It is so good to hear from you and even better to hear that you are sounding so good. Congrats on being in love! That sounds so exciting and, I am so excited for you. Believe it or not, it once happened to me, I think, lol.

Nice, with Joan! Her album Joan Armatrading-Joan Armatradinr has been the second all time most favored album of mine since it came out, long ago. That album has always been close to my soul. Tell her 'Hi' for me, lol. You fortunate little lady. :)

Love the 'love' song! Be well, happy and, most of all, blessed. God's blessings are worth far more than anything this sad world has to offer. I know, lol.

Winter Flower Box just finished and I think it is very special.

Take good care. :)

xenonrush said...

Phew! I was just beginning to think that you were working soooo hard that you didn't have any time for the important things in life like blogging and uploading songs.
Love the 'Lost in You' track. Very soothing.
Any idea when in June your Yeovil gig is? If it's towards the end I might make a pilgrimage to the West Country to try some local beer and take in some local sounds.

Kestrel said...

growing up can always be an adventure... enjoy the uni experience and you won't regret it the rest of your life.

mercury said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mercury said...

You are with Violet at Guildford? Sehr schön!
Love all of your musical pieces. Especially 'Winter Flower Box' with its 'asking' beginning and beautiful transitions.
'Lost in You' combines 'Sehnsucht' und 'Schwermut'. The metaphor ' a spark from the amber' made me shiver.

A look out of my window at Weißenburg says: 'It's winter'. The spruce over there is covered with snow. I have to listen 'Winter Flower Box' once more.

Trevor said...

Hello everyone :) I hope that you are all well and happy ; for my part I remain the curmudgeonly soul I have always been ;)
But never mind all of this nonsense , what about Holly ? Isn't she doing well ? She has coursework to complete , dissertations to write , examinations to take , the second album to record , cooking to burn , washing to mix up , ironing ....well , perhaps not ironing ! And in addition to all of these things , she has find the time for an ever expanding number of new friends and contacts with whom she needs and wants to converse .....Phew ! So , I repeat , isn't she doing well !
More than this , Holly , your songs and instrumentals continue to tug at our heart strings whilst your voice is truly that which soothed the savage breast . More impressive still is that for us you remain the most kind , thoughtful and loveliest young woman imaginable ....... and you're in LOVE ! Hip Hip Hooray ! Hip Hip Hooray ! Hip Hip Hooray !
It's such a pleasure and privilege to have you in our lives , Holly . Than you .
And , if it's not absolutel clear from what I've already said , the message here is that you're doing great !

mercury said...

Did I hear an insinuation of a rhyme?

Larry said...

Trevor, my friend. How good it is to see your smiling face. :)

@mercury He is a poet and don't know it? Makes a rhyme every time. :)

Trevor said...

Hello Mercurial Wolfgang , I see you are as sharp as ever . Hello too to you , Larry ; I kept an eye on Holly's Blog and became worried about you . I'm very pleased to hear from you again and hope that you are well and happy and in good health .
Wolfgang , I look forward to disagreeing with you in the future ;) .Best wishes everyone :) .

H said...

Oh you guys!!! lol. I have missed you.

Thank you so much for your comments. :D I hope to be posting a bit more now that my exams have finished for a while...I think I have said that before though. :/ We'll see how it goes... I'm am home until Saturday now, and brought my recording equipment home in the hope of recording a video, but alas! This stupid cold has STILL not gone!!! About 2 weeks it has lasted...surely it can't be much longer now. :/

xxxxxxx

P.S - The gig is on the 22nd June I believe Xeno - it would be great to see you!

mercury said...

Holly, gute Besserung und pass auf, dass Du keine Lungenentzündung bekommst!!!
I'm really happy, that you, Trevor are joining our little crowd again! I have to admit, that I was puzzled, not knowing, for what reason you left.
...and you brought such beautiful roses for Holly with you.:-)

yizhivika said...

Joan's gig's not showing up yet on the Octagon website (although events on the 20th and 24th June are), but once it is, I'll probably get a ticket and spend a couple of days in Yeovil in late June; it'll be good to see both you, and her, singing again :). By the way, Joan's also apparently doing gigs at G Live in Guildford on Friday 5th October, and in Southsea's King's Theatre on Monday 8th October, so I'll definitely be getting a tcket for the latter as it's in my neck of the woods. Take care, and I hope your cold has gone now :) x