Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Adventures! Oooooh!

Howdy peoples!

So...I'm back at Uni, we have lots of work already, and I have two rather cool adventures to tell you about. :)

The first one is a London adventure...and so is the second! It's actually the first time that I've been to London in ages. I thought I'd go quite a bit last year seeing as I'm so close now, but I didn't. This year that appears to have changed, having gone twice in a matter of days. I'm actually trying to build a little ticket display thingy across my wall, I'm a quarter of the way across with all the train/boat tickets from last year and this year. Like so...


I know a slight curve/blatantly wavy line will take longer, but my OCD tendencies couldn't handle a straight line. I'd be standing there adjusting wonky tickets all day. ;)

Ok...so...

Adventure No. 1:

The other day my lovely friends (Christine and Arjun) and I went to London to look around the musical instrument shops in Denmark Street and others...Hobgoblin too...such a great shop. I had actually been looking online at a couple of guitars in a shop called Angel Music in Denmark Street - they looked great - so I wanted to check those out in real life. I had been searching for/thinking about getting another guitar for ages. In my mind I knew exactly what I wanted my guitar to be like, how much I was prepared to pay, the age...etc....hence it taking ages! But when we went into Angel Music, I spotted THE guitar. :) And luckily the cost was the price I had in mind. As soon as I tried it I knew it was THE one for me...it just felt so great to play...it sounds rich and lovely and it has a fairly small, neat body. It's a 1975 Martin 000-28. You can tell that it has been loved and there are a few signs of its age...the pickguard is curling up (weirdly) at the edge and there are a few places where the varnish on the purfling has come off, but nothing significant...and I think it adds character. ;)

Here she is in all her glory (definitely a girl)...







What a beaut. :) Next I need to find a pick-up to insert so I can easily play her live. I think I've found one actually. And it's only a temporary one too, so I can take it out after the gig without damaging the guitar. Nice. :)

Anyhow - as well as me buying a beautifully lovely guitar, we went and ate sushi and visited The British Museum, which was rather fun. :) We saw Ancient Egyptian mummies and stuff, and also clocks through the ages. I love clocks and watches so that was very cool. Here is a picture that I took of my friends outside the British Museum. It's just a fun one...and everything about it makes me giggle...


I especially love the lady walking past with the ice cream. Lol.

We also went in a very cool music shop called Hobgoblin. I highly recommend it - it's a great shop with a huge variety of instruments from different cultures. I also got this rather weird plectrum there...they actually gave it to me for free because they can't sell them...hmmm...wonder why?!


So that was a rather cool day. :) Then yesterday evening we had...

Adventure No. 2:

Arjun and I went to see Tanita Tikaram live!!! SO incredibly exciting. :D :D :D And she was awesome. And guess what?...Totally met her afterwards...she's incredibly lovely and friendly. (And she was wearing some really good shoes!) (And we have matching guitar straps!) We had a little chat with her and I got my ticket signed...(note the number! Lol)

YAY! :D

I also bought a t-shirt...her t-shirts are really cool...and you can get them online over at her official website.

Here I am looking equally awkward and strange, modelling mine for you...



YAY! New t-shirt!

I also had my picture taken with her - thanks muchly to the lovely Glenn ('twas great to see you again!) - and the result is priceless. (In a "that is a very funny photo" way.) I'll ask Glenn if I can put one up here. :)

I hope you are all well!

TTFN and lots of love
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also, I totally love this song/video at the moment. I think Imogen Heap is awesome...so clever...and this is such a different, but brilliant song. (Love the video too.) (And the song.) (I already said that.) (Do you think I like it?)




6 comments:

Kestrel said...

Way cool... So when do we get to hear the new guitar :)

David Beirne said...

The "awkward" pics are excellent :)

Larry said...

What wonderful adventures! It was an adventure for me just reading about them, lol. You write so well. Glad you found the guitar and, I look forward to seeing and hearing you play it.

Tanita! I am turning green, lol. I used to get so deep into her music (Ancient Heart) that sometimes, it is a wonder I made it back. Definitely an amazing album.

You sound really great and that makes my day. :) Be happy and keep up the good work.

David Ruben said...

so envious - work commitments (and little matter of a family too) prevented me from attending the Tanita concert. Long admired this Imogen Heap tract - for all the criticism of music industry routinely using autotune and vocoders, this is using it as an instrumental effect and so very clever.

Tony said...

Swallows and Amazons move over...here comes "The Adventures of Holly" ;)
Srsly, it's great to be able to vicariously relive a long, longggg past youth through your blog. Though much has changed since 1970 when I lived in a bedsit in SE27, the Museums and the street life will always be in the "things to cherish" drawer.
Your new guitar looks to be a real honey and I can imagine the tone is all that you say, as with all strings, once the stresses of building have been relieved by time, the true tone of the instrument comes out with none of the "twang" that new ones can have. I hope you and "her" have many happy years together and make great music.

As you know, I can't resist mind reading the people in pics and feel I have a good handle on the museum pic. The guy in the white shirt on far left has just said to his friend, "Quick, that lady is taking a photo, look right at her, we might be in it." His friend is thinking, "Ahh, that reminds me, I haven't taken any photos for at least 7 minutes." Arjun is thinking, "If Holly makes us stand here ANY longer I'll...." Christine is thinking, "Gahhh, Holly knows I hate posing for pictures, I never know what to do with my arms...I'll sneak a sideways glance at Arjun, haha, he looks like he's going to bite Holly in a minute if she doesn't just take the picture already."
The two ladies centred between Christine and Ice cream lady: The elder one is thinking, "Ima goose her just as she takes the picture, just for giggles."
Ice cream lady can only be thinking, "YES!! that's another snapshot I got myself into!"

Hobgoblin are great, They have stands at lots of the folk festivals and my wife got her guitar from them...sadly they didn't have any of those umm, really very attractive, plectrums, plectra? there at the time.

The Tee with the star motif is very apt, though the model appears to be either about to break into a rap, or audition for Planet of the Apes....just sayin...

Hugs, smiles and a smattering of Awwwws

xenonrush said...

Looks like year two has got off to an excellent start on the social front. I too am a fan of Hobgoblin