Monday, 13 June 2011

Here

Hi everyone

So here I am - and here they are - the holidays! The first year of Uni is over. It feels like it has gone really quickly, and I've learnt so much...more on the 'life experience' side of things I think...not that I haven't learnt musicy stuff! I've definitely been learning that too, but I guess the lifey stuff is more apparent.

I'm feeling weird at the moment. I'm in a 'feeling sorry for myself' kind of mood and I hate that. It's such a wasteful state to be in. (Note to self: get out of it then!) I think it's because of the change of scenery. I find it hard to switch between Uni life and home life and right now, I've been struggling with my songs. Every time I try to write something I just get stuck...or with the production side of things...I guess it's a kind of writer's block. The harder I try to make something work, the more frustrated I get, and the less it seems to work.

Today I sat down and tried to record a song for YouTube, but failed a bit. Then I decided to just play the piano and record what happened when I did. The following clip is what happened. It's a bit rough, and I'm not a very good pianist, but I think it's what I feel in piano form...well it must be...since it's what came out. After I'd recorded it I added a few strings underneath to make it sound a little fuller.

Here by hollykirby

I'll really try to get something on YouTube soon...even if it's just an old style, straight to the camera/through the camera microphone video. Hopefully it'll be a little easier now that I've written something, even though it is an instrumental.

I hope you're all well. :)

xxxxxxxxx

12 comments:

Kestrel said...

Just know that making that transition from first year at University to back home for the summer,is always hard and somewhat strange... going from extreme independence to back with the family is hard for most college students... don't forget to give yourself lots of space and realize that it is just one of those transitions of life... again part of growing up and learning about life. From the bigger picture, you have been quite productive as of late (see your sound cloud account, etc.) so don't be hard on yourself, you are doing more than you realize.

good luck and enjoy the summer!

David Ruben said...

Well you are growing up - a bit older, huge variety of new experiences, fending for yourself, new friends, etc... that heady rush slows down back at home, and hopefully a chance to recharge and reinvigorate. Your wider musical styles from your course work (or at least the confidence to experiment) has given a greater maturity to your compositions - heck I've heard far worse commercial soundtracks that this seemingly polished musing. Perhaps not riotously jovial but it sounds to me as expressing cautious optimism through life's turbulent waters, not a bad mood to be in - it is going to haunt me for the next few days.

Larry said...

"Take it easy, greasy. Got a long way to slide."

That 'old saying', maybe an Appalachian one(?), just popped into my head so, I wrote it down. Fact is, it really says a lot, knowing that change is constant. You will be just fine. :) Have a blessed and wonderful summer. Every day of life is a priceless gift. :)

Nemo said...

Lovely, Holly, just lovely. The piano is fine--slow, gentle and sweet in its sorrow. Thanks for your open heart and sharing it.

mercury said...

Ein Fragezeichen als letzter Ton. Der in seiner Zartheit hypnotisierende Ausklang erscheint mir sehr gelungen. Aber ich bin ja kein Musiker.

xenonrush said...

Very nice little piece. I've even put it on again whilst I type this.
I expect switching from the frantic whirl of the mainland to the serenity of the Island must be quite a change. Edmond Dantès had the same problem.
Your writing of music sounds a bit like my writing of web applications but it's great when it all finally comes together and works. CC#2 is coming to Bestival so I have told her to seek you out and scream with delight when you are singing something new. Now there's an incentive to be productive.

Tony said...

Hi Holly,
Well, my technical knowledge of music is right up there with my knowledge of string theory, but I know what I like and this piece I like...I can picture myself sitting in a remote bay somewhere watching the sea and listening to this.
True, it is a tad melancholy and I had to go watch your vid of Mrs Moonlight to remind me that 'neath the present mood is a girl that loves life, music, laughter and fun.

Thanks for sharing your talent Holly. Sending a hug and some bunny ears...
tony

TV said...

The secret to this is playing some badass Heavy Metal riffs, you should try that :D

mercury said...

TV out of the deep, awakened from eternal sleep. LOL

TV said...

You underestimate the pleasures of being idle.

mercury said...

'Müßiggang ist aller Psychologie Anfang' (Friedrich Nietzsche)

yizhivika said...

I think this is rather beautiful, a tad melancholic to be sure, but no less beautiful for that. As others have said, don't be too hard on yourself, Holly, and just let things take their course; whatever you imagine other people's expectations of you to be, just be yourself and stay positive. You'll be fine :) x