Monday, 27 June 2011

Album. Number. Two?

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my latest video! I'm very pleased that you like it. :) ...Despite the not-so-great sound quality and the singing goofball!

So now comes the time when I am thinking about my next album. :) I'm currently in the process of working out how I'm going to do things this time...should I try to get the artwork done professionally? Or make it homemade again...?

The thing is - when I do things myself I am never TRULY happy with the result. It's really difficult to think - yes - that's exactly how I'd like it - when you know that it's not up to a professional standard - because you're not a professional!

*Goes to make a cup of tea for extra brainpower*

...and she's back.

Also...production. Last time I produced the songs myself. I composed the backing tracks before I went to the studio for all the tracks - apart from "Impossible", and "Tripping Through Violets". These two were produced with Gareth and Olli in the studio. This time, I was thinking of finding someone to help me out on all the tracks and make sure there's a good balance of continuity and variation running through the album. But I really don't know. AAAAH!

The thing is that I know what I like...and so I get worried when I sort of, hand over the responsibility to someone else. It's not like I don't trust the other person to do a good job! But if I do it then I know it's going to be 'me' and there's a greater chance of it being what I want to convey.

Anyhow - I'm going to go and have some photos taken for a website update/promo/possibly album art soon. I need to think about the album theme and what kind of thing I want in the meantime. Tricky when I haven't recorded the tracks! Doh...

I'd better get doing some BIG thinking...

I hope you're all well and groovy!

Lots of love xxxxx

P.S - I'm really getting into photography at the mo. 'Ere's a picture what I took yesterrrday. (That was my Isle of Wight accent creepin' in there.)

(If you click on the pic it takes you to my Flickr account. I have a funny/different username on there because I was going to keep it secret. But I'm not sure why. So it's not a secret now.)

Boats at the Luck

I also have a deviantArt profile if you'd like to join me on there...same funny username applies.

10 comments:

Larry said...

First comment did not post so if it winds up twice...

Yes, it sounds like you have some 'Big thinking' to do alright. I cannot even begin to imagine how much it all involves. What I do know and can recommend is that when I have decisions to make, large or small, I pray over them and listen to my conscience. Conscience is really God's voice. The results of doing that all the time have been quite amazing since I became a follower of Jesus Christ. And it works for everyone to some degree.

Thanks for sharing your photos. I look forward to exploring them. Hope you have a wonderful day and summer!

Larry said...

BTW, that is one awesome camera. Saw its info on the pics page. Looks like you have the ticket for 'getting into photography', as you said. :)

David Ruben said...

2nd album ? Woo Hoo - and about time too :-) LOL But just to correct your assertion, the last album to me at least seemed to have profession quality art & production values. The recording was on professional mic set up. Whilst might be interesting, you do not need a "wall of sound" production. Now whether realising your wishes for the album proved hard to do, or at least might be easier with outside help, is a different question.

caperguy2000 said...

TEST

CAPERGUY2000 said...

I HAVE TALKED WITH DIFFERENT ARTIST THAT HAVE OTHER PEOPLE PRODUCE THEIR CD.S ,THEY ALL SAID THAT IT EXPANDED THEIR MUSICAL CREATIVITY .I HOPE THAT YOU PUT RAIN ON AVENUE ON THIS CD THAT IS GREAT SONG ,THEN AGAIN ALL WORK IS HAVE GREAT SUMMER LOOKING FORWARD TOO MORE AWESOME MUSIC
PS GOOFFY IS GOOD LOL LIVE IS TOO SERIOUS

mercury said...

Superquestions. Very. Difficult. I think your voice should always be in the center.
I like your way of photographing. My favourite 'the path thingy'.

Tony said...

Your artwork is like you Holly, charming, so IMHO I would say pick something that YOU like, don't overthink it. And the never truly happy with the result is just one of the unfortunate side effects of perfectionism.
Just ask yourself, "Do I like it? , Did I do my best with it? , Can I live with it?
If you can answer yes to those, then just aim for maybe achieving perfection with the next album :)

David Ruben said...

oooh... Tony, is she in initial concept stages of planning for the 3rd album already ? LOL

xenonrush said...

I agree with Tony. The art work on the first album was very you which is what we all like. If you get a professional to do it you will doubtless be good quality but will it be better (whatever that is). It's often good to get the input of others provided you have the last word (I am sure you will :) ).
Are you planning to put your course work tracks, the two that sounded like they should be sung under a spot light in a latenight bar, on to the new album.
Already looking forward to hearing it.

David Ruben said...

Just a thought, but are your coursework pieces yours by copyright, or does their commercial usage (i.e. on an album you sell) belong to the university as part of your course work with them? Make sure you are 100% sure on this issue, don't guess or presume :-)