Monday, 14 June 2010

Isle of Wight Festival 2010

Yo yo everyone :)

Goodness! It's been a while! Lol. Now what is there to report...?

AH! Yes, Isle of Wight Festival! :)

Well, on Friday I played in the Kashmir Cafe. :) I played for about 45 minutes, and it was really fun. :) There's always a lovely atmosphere - very chilled. Here's a pic...

(All photos courtesy of Donna ;))

I don't know what I was doing there. But this photo shows that I have legs so I thought I'd put it on.

I did a mixture of covers and originals. I think that 'Paint It Black' had the biggest clap. Lol. :)

Then on Saturday I wasn't playing at all so we just enjoyed the day (though it was very tiring) and watched the artists. In the morning we watched Melanie perform. I thought she was brilliant. At the end of her set she sang with one of our local choirs, which was really moving. I had tingles the whole way through!

Here's a video of the performance on Youtube...(They also went into 'Give Peace A Chance' at the end which was brilliant, but it got cut off the end of this video.)


We also saw Little Boots on the Acoustic Stage who was brilliant. She's got a great voice and is a fab piano player too. After that we watched Crowded House, who were good...and then in the evening we watched Blondie who were cool. :)

I also got to wear my uber cool wellies. (Please excuse the legs!)

Then on Sunday came the day for me to play on the Acoustic Stage. :D When I woke up in the morning I was a bit nervous, but when I was getting ready and saw the people who were going to be watching I felt fine. :)

So I started off with Gold & Blue. I was singing away happily, but I could tell that something wasn't quite the ticket, as people were pulling funny faces and the sound people looked a bit flustered. Then, near the end of the song people started clapping. :-S That confused me a lot...then I was told that people could only hear my guitar, and not my voice! I think that someone was left with the audio who wasn't really sure what was going on, and a setting was selected that shouldn't have been. But the man who was controlling my monitors (who was very good) went and sorted it out. :)

After that I did 'Beautiful Deceit', then 'Gone For Good', 'Riddles & Rhymes', 'Gold & Blue' (with voice!) and finished with 'Poetry'.

I really really enjoyed it, and people said some really lovely things afterwards. :)

Here are a few piccies...

I particularly like this one....Haha! This lady just started dancing in front of the stage. I dedicated Beautiful Deceit to her and she did a big ending and everything! Lol...


And I gave her a special clap at the end too. :)

Then in the evening we went back to the Acoustic Stage to watch Suzanne Vega. :) And because I played on the stage earlier I had my backstage pass - so I went back and met her! :D She's really nice. - I had my piccy taken with her too. :)

Her set was definitely the highlight of the Festival for me. :)

I hope you're all well. :)

TTFN from a very happy Hollyxxxxx

28 comments:

Larry said...

It was really an amazing week end, wasn't it. I found it incredibly exciting on this end and monitored the FB sites nearly continuously. I really enjoyed it all. Thanks, Donna for making that happen. You are the best! Mum and me swapped a few emails as we awaited the updates and it was all lots of fun. Wow! Bet you need a spot of rest now. I think I do as well, lol. You looked fabulous and I am so happy for you! Thanks again to our Donna!

Trevor said...

Hi Holly, what a great blog ! Donna's pictures are brilliant.I think I was in love with Melanie all those years ago -- 'Lay Down' was and is great but I think she did the very best cover of'Ruby Tuesday' ever --in fact some say she wrote it ! Debbie Harry too,just fantastic --what a stage presence she used to have ! And Suzanne Vega whose 'Luka'was and remains one of the most evocative songs possible.All this and more -- what an experience !
I'm so glad you were well received...gosh you must be learning such a lot about stagecraft from all of these recent experiences -- especially when things go wrong..aargh ! The white legs and blue wellies were an inspired combination ,whose your fashion adviser ? Worth a bonus I should say :)

Larry said...

Trev, did you get some mail from Xeno yet?

xenonrush said...

Sounds like you had a brilliant festival. Would love to have seen Melanie. Saw her in the '70s and she was great then. Held the audience in her palm. Would have like to see Debbie Harry too. Met her at Heathrow once in a business lounge. Nice lady.
Shame Suzanne didn't get to hear you. I'm sure she would have asked to duet with you.
How many CD's did you shift?
It was really good seeing all Donna's photos. Especially the ones she took of people at the site. It all looked like great fun. Will have to come to see it sometime. Probably when you are the headline set on the acoustic stage.

xenonrush said...

Larry ~ Trevor has received his DVD.

Trevor said...

Hi Larry,yes I did.I got it today and it was one of the most pleasurable packages I have ever received .I loved it. I've already sent my thanks to xeno -- it really was very kind of him. I understand that you also received a package in the post;what did you think ?
PS In your honour I watched 'The Outlaw Josey Wales ' yesterday and enjoyed every minute of it :)

Larry said...

@ Trev - Yeah, Josey was cool wasn't he.
What did I think? I do not know how to answer that, really. Still trying to believe it is real. I watch it, or a bit of it nearly every day. It is superb in every way. Holly is a pure joy to watch singing those songs and the atmosphere was one that can never be repeated. It is just awesome. I reckon it ranks very high on the list of my most valued possessions. It just really grabs my heart and fills me with wonderful emotions!

Trevor said...

She is lovely,isn't she -- it's that thing about living through the song isn't it? She does, and because of that, so do we:)She becomes part of the soundtrack of our lives,doesn't she? Happy Days.

Larry said...

Trev, by golly, that is very well said! Very well!

Trevor said...

It's just that I try to work out what it is that engages me so much. I've come up with lots of individual reasons but none are sufficient on their own and this seems to be that kind of umberella rationale which encompasses all of the other often disparate elements. Bye the way, why are you up so early/late? Shouldn't you be fast asleep :)

xenonrush said...

Well put. And it made me listen to the track again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW_Lp5qKHm0
Lovely.

Larry said...

It is only 6:57 pm right now. I am 5 hours off from IoW time. Now, I did get up at 4:30 am this morning though, lol, because it was so hot here. Had to throw in the towel and tuen on the A/C this evening though. It is still over 90F right now!

Larry said...

Great track, Xeno. But watching her sing it at the Launch, seeing those expressions, makes a me light headed, lol. Yes, that Launch is pure delight to me. Very powerful. I can never thank you enough. :)

Trevor said...

I entirely echo your thanks to Xeno,Larry;he's given us something quite special hasn't he.Take a bow,Xeno.
90F !!! How do you survive in that ,Larry ? I'd be burnt to a crisp !

Larry said...

I survive because that is the outside temp. The A/C is on and it is only 76F in here. Last night, I did not have it on though and was too excited from the Festival to slepp. Then the heat got me, lol. :(

Trevor said...

PS Does anyone else think that the young Melanie looks like the young Me? Is there a parallel lives thing going on or is it some beautiful hippie spiritual thing I missed out on :)

xenonrush said...

I think the young Me looks like Loana the Fair One. Compare the photo here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=535842&id=1314870827

with the second one here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Years_B.C.

Overnight temp here was 19c (66f). Very pleasant.

Trevor said...

I think you might have something there,Xeno,but how about adding a touch of Linda Ronstadt ?

Larry said...

@ Trev & Xeno
That Album Launch is so enchanting that I just ripped the audio and converted it to mp3 and burned it to a CD-R as data with Nero. Now it plays in my car's new CD player but I must visualize the graphics, lol. I mean, how do you drive while watching a DVD? What a cool 2 hr. CD while out for a long ride! Thanks again, Xeno!

BTW, the next job is making an mp3 CD with several hours of Holly's songs for the car with ID3 tags. What a great idea! Have I got it bad? You bet your booties! :)

Trevor said...

Larry,I'm ever so sorry but the technical stuff is entirely wasted on me;Xeno is the technological savant -- and grateful I am that this is the case :)
It's a lovely image of you motoring around Virginia ,hood down,hair blowing in the breeze,singing along to Topsy Turvy World -- it's like a latter day 'Easy Rider' Watch out for the Highway Patrol !
You have got it bad,haven't you ?Had you thought of upping sticks and moving to the IOW ? Holly might adopt you if you were a good boy,or you could live in the shed in the garden to bring back memories of growing up in the Appalachian Mountains :)

Larry said...

LOL! Yeah, right, lol. They could put me out in the garden during the day as a scarecrow!
Nothing techy there. You have heard of mp3s and burning CDs. That is all it is. I just needed a way to get 2 hrs. on one. Heck, looks like it could go up to 5 or 6 easily on one CD at 192 Kbps! Oh, anyway...
Yes, Xeno is a whiz! There is nothing I could tell him. His work is simply superb in every way! All my people that have seen it are blown away by its quality. A veritable masterpiece it is!

Trevor said...

Good positive thinking,Larry -- a scarecrow could be very useful and I'm sure there are other things you could do,but I can't quite think of them at the moment:)
As for not being techie I am lost for words..........'ripped the audio' 'converted it to mp3' 'burned it ...as data with Nero' 'mp3CD' 'ID3 tags' I am tremendously impressed by those, such as yourself and Xeno, who understand these things but for me it's almost impenetrable.
Never mind,I'm sure I'll get by...........with a little help from my friends,yes I'll get by with a little help from my friends :)

Larry said...

Trev, I cannot think of what those other things might be either. At any rate, I am as close as I will ever be, lol.

Suffice it to say that there is no way I could have done what Xeno did. He is the techy one! :) Not mention, a very professional photographer! :)

Larry said...

*Not to mention...

Trevor said...

I've thought of something,,,,,you could be Guy Fawkes on Bonfire Night and after that,when you'd come out of hospital,you would be just in time to play Father Christmas and bring Joy and Good Tidings to the Kirby household. That at least would make you useful until Christmas ,after that we,ll have to think again :)

xenonrush said...

Trevor ~ I laughed so much at your last remark I nearly dropped my laptop on the floor.

xenonrush said...

ID3 tags are pretty straight forward. They enable you to embed information (such as the track name, artist, album, etc ) into sound files. They are a bit like IPTC tags which are used for embedding information (such as caption, copyright, location, GPS coordinates) into digital photograph files.

Trevor said...

Thanks for the explanation,Xeno....and for the very courteous way in which you express it.When you have an expertise such as yours it must be terribly frustrating dealing with people like me who find these things extraordinarily difficult.Is it a left-brain right -brain thing do you think ? Anyway, thank you.
As for Larry,I'm afraid if he can't think of anything to make himself useful after Christmas he'll have to be sent back to Virginia.