Sunday, 7 March 2010

A few thoughts.

Hello everyone. :)

I thought I'd write a blog for you on this sunny Sunday afternoon. :)

Firstly I'd like to say a big thankyou to everyone who has commented on my preview song. And also, thankyou for your support. :)

A bit about the CD...

I can say now that I am 100% happy with the CD and how it has turned out. I have a few ideas for my songs on the next album (let's hope I'm able to do one! :)) - and indeed, improvements, but for my first album - I'm happy with how it has turned out. I've put a lot of work into it and I'm completely happy that it's ME. :)

The thing is that...if people don't like it now...then they don't like my style, or my way of doing things. And that's fine. I enjoy experimenting with lots of different styles, that's just me, and that is evident from the CD. I think this 'convention' they speak of sounds pretty boring. Sometimes I like BIG sounds, sometimes I like raw, acoustic sounds, sometimes I'm happy, sometimes I'm sad, just like everyone else, I like variation. I like writing songs that are from inside of me. And my feelings don't always go with an acoustic guitar, sometimes they go with a piano or big strings. My music is ME and I'm in all of my songs.

All that's required to write a song is inspiration. The feelings are already inside you, waiting to come to life. Inspiration is the trigger. A very wise person (called Joni Mitchell ;)) once said "Music without the muse is just 'ic'".

I'm not writing music to a formula. I'm not writing it to make money. - Though it would be a dream come true if I could make a living doing what I love - but I'm not changing to fit 'convention'. I write music to share my thoughts with people, and if they can relate to my music in some way, then that's wonderful. Sometimes we can get so caught up in our own feelings that we think we are alone, and it's such a great feeling when we find that we are not. Songwriting is a great comfort really. It's kind of saying 'do you ever feel like this?'

I love performing live too. I think it's the honesty that makes it so special. In real life we can hide our emotions. We, well...I...am the kind of person who jumbles her words up. I'm getting better, but I'm not quite there yet. And when you sing a song to someone, especially your own original song, it feels like you can look into the eyes of an audience member and sing straight to their heart. You don't stutter or stammer because all the words are already there for you, but you can give them a different meaning each time you perform them. And they have 10, 20, 50, 100, 1000 different meanings! - As each audience member takes the story differently.

Anyway. I'll leave you to ponder. I'm going to go and write a song. :)

Lots of love.xxxxx

7 comments:

ascom said...

Very well put, Holly; sounds perfect to me.

Will there be a subscription list for the CD? That would put our minds at rest and let us sleep at nights, knowing for sure that we won't miss it. :-)

Uncle Tim said...

Very eloquent, Holly. Good luck with the song!

gassyoldman said...

I like the musings Holly. Very thoughtful and a glimpse into your mind :D I hope there will be enough CDs to go round!! I shared your latest singing video on Facebook and had a comment and a mail from folks in America who were well impressed with your voice and singing. They want to know if you ever performed in America :) I said I didn't think so. Right?

Bill xxx

Larry said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with your fans. It has always amazed me how you artists relate to your work and my horizons of understanding have been well broadened since discovering you. So far, it has been a most interesting and emotional experience as I have have seen, heard and, shared your states of mind through the various songs. It has been a most wonderful experience and I thank you for everything!
I once read where someone stated, "Music is man's greatest gift to man". Of course, that applies to women as well and, you have given us all such a beautiful gift!

xenonrush said...

And there was I thinking that when you sing your own original songs you were singing just to me. Ho hum! So now I've got to come to terms with sharing.
Your thoughts were good to read. And don't worry about not being liked by everyone. Nobody ever has been. There are lots of artists/groups out there who have me reaching for the change station button. Just remember that there are a ton of people out there who love your music and a few twerps who don't but won't keep it to themselves.

Dave said...

Will your cd be released in the states on iTunes?

Dave

H said...

Hello everyone. :)

Thankyou for your lovely comments. :)

@ascom - Thankyou for your lovely words - there isn't a subscription list, but I'm having 1000 copies done, so there should be plenty to go round. :D If I do run out - (very unlikely! Lol) - then I'll get some more done. :)

@Uncle Tim - Thankyou very much Uncle Tim! I got the idea yesterday, but I haven't written it yet. I think this is a 'lyrics first' song.

@gassyoldman - Thankyou Bill. :) - Yes, there should be plenty to go round. :) I'm having 1000 copies made...I'm probably going to have trouble getting rid of them! :-S Wow! Thankyou for sharing my video. :D That's right, I don't perform in America. - I wish! Lol. Wouldn't that be cool?! :)

@Larry - Awww Larry, thankyou so much for your wonderful comment. It has been so amazing being able to share my music with you. :) I'll keep posting when I go to Uni. - I'll have to do really simple - guitar, voice and camera vids from my closet of a room! Lol. :)

@Xeno - But I AM singing just to you Xeno. ;) I need to get thicker skin really. Criticism gets to me, and I know it shouldn't. I'm getting there. ;)

@Dave - Hello Dave! Yes, it should be available on iTunes - firstly from my website (hollykirbymusic.com) - and then iTunes a bit later. :)

Thankyou again everyone. :)

Love Hollyxxxx