Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Gigs gigs gigs! (Three of 'em)

Howdy there :)

Last night's little gig thingy went pretty well I think. I was just a bit of entertainment after the people had eaten. I did six songs - Tea Leaves and Old Magazines, Beautiful Deceit, Tripping Through Violets, 1 2 3 4 (by Feist), Carrickfergus and Poetry. It was really fun and I got some lovely feedback afterwards. I was a little nervous about doing Carrickfergus as I'd never done that one live before and slower songs are generally harder to sing live because the long sustained notes provide more nervous wobble opportunities! But I was really chuffed because I just thought to myself 'just get on with it' and I did - and I didn't do any nervous wobbles. (I don't think so anyway!)
People came up to me afterwards to tell me that they enjoyed it which was cool. :) One man said that he really enjoyed listening to my lyrics, and a couple of people told me how Celtic I sounded which I was really pleased about. :D One lady was telling me how Celtic Tea Leaves and Old Magazines sounded - and another lady said that she also had Irish roots and really enjoyed Carrickfergus.
All in all it was a good little gig thing. :) I enjoyed it a lot. :)

The Buddle Inn tonight - I'm doing a thirty minute set which will probably consist of...

Tea Leaves and Old Magazines
Beautiful Deceit
Tripping Through Violets
Gone For Good
Topsy Turvy World
Poetry

...with I Live Through the Song as a spare.

Our school leavers ball is tomorrow evening and I'm also playing there as people are coming in. I'm really looking forward to that actually. When I first started singing I found it so difficult to sing in front of friends - but now I really enjoy it. Because they know me already it feels like they're extra supportive - whereas when you perform to people you don't know - you know that they're judging you/forming an opinion of you for the first time which is the nerve-wracking bit!

So - a pretty busy week this week! Three gigs in one week is quite tiring, but I imagine that when the music year gets into full swing I'll be sometimes doing more than that!

TTFN xxxxx

P.S - Not sure what possessed me to do those italics, but I think it's a little more grammatically correct. Sleep deprivation...

P.P.S - Happy Canada Day! :)

3 comments:

LarryC said...

My oh my, but you are a busy little Holly this week! How wonderful to hear all this news. It is delightful to hear that you are seemingly loosening up a bit too. There is no way I can know what it would feel like to perform in front of people, friends or strangers. The only thing I do know, is that I will never know, lol. Not that I have any talent anyway, but I would be too chicken, lol.

Well, it sounds great, Holly. Hope you have a wonderful time, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind about how you will always be received. As the wonderful artist you are!

D.N.H. said...

Nothing like live performing to build your confidence. You either get it right or you don't, but either way you move on. No do-overs. :)

Wolfgang said...

Gratulation!!! Du wirst es vielleicht nicht glauben, aber Du bist in Vielem ein Vorbild für mich. Klingt vielleicht etwas pathetisch, ist aber so!
Liebe Grüße aus dem schlafenden Weißenburg.