Wednesday, 6 May 2009

Camping! Part 2

Right, now where was I? :)

So we reached the Needles and took some more silly photos including this one...



The Needles consist of some bits of rocky stuff sticking out the sea (made of chalk) & also a lighthouse at the end of them. The 'rocky stuff' is chalk.

Hang on. I've just found a more sophisicated description for you!

The Needles is a row of three distinctive stacks of chalk that rise out of the sea off the western extremity of the Isle of Wight, England, close to Alum Bay. A lighthouse designed by Scottish civil engineer James Walker has stood at the western end of the formation since 1859.
The formation takes its name from the former fourth needle-shaped pillar called Lot's Wife that used to stand in its midst until it collapsed in a storm in 1764. The remaining rocks are all short and squat and not at all needle-like, but the name has stuck.


Wow! I didn't know that! Thanks Wikipedia! :) Here's a pic of what The Needles used to look like before the other one fell down...



Well now THAT is pretty cool. :)

Oooh I just need to steal, ahem, I mean 'borrow' something else from Wikipedia:

The Needles are inextricably linked with Alum Bay, and a major tourist draw. Scenic boat trips operating from Alum Bay offering close-up views of the Needles are very popular. The rocks and lighthouse have become icons of the Isle of Wight, and are featured on many of the souvenirs sold throughout the island.


'Tis true, 'tis true! :) Alum Bay is VERY touristy - Ben and I visited there to get a bite to eat - it was quite busy and there were a lot of mainlander tourists. We looked like proper grockles too - me with my camera around my neck and my funky backpack on! :) At Alum Bay there is a big carousel - I remember absolutely loving it when I was younger. We saw it again on Sunday and found that one of the horses is called Ben! So I made a point of taking a picture. :)



Hehe. :)

After walking around Alum Bay, Ben and I walked up to the Old Battery - a place where rockets used to be tested. We walked around the underground testing rooms (which was very eerie) and bought some pasties for lunch. I think the lady behind the counter took a bit of a shine to us - we were talking to her about how cheese pasties are nicer when they're cold because they're cheesier - and she offered us a free chocolate egg each as we were going out the door. I just smiled and said "Oh no thankyou - thankyou very much anyway though!" But Ben said to me afterwards "What did you do that for?! You turned down FREE chocolate?!" Oops!

Here's a pic of the cliffs at Alum Bay - this was the view behind us as we were walking towards the Old Battery.



After visiting the Old Battery we started walking along Tennyson Down, which was stunning. There's not really a lot I can say about it. It was a really lovely walk.
Here's the view across the Down looking towards Tennyson's Monument - you can see it in the distance...



And here's a big photo of Holly with Tennyson's Monument...



I felt quite in awe - I wrote a bit of a poem whilst sitting next to it so I could call the poem "Lines composed next to Tennyson's Monument" - like Wordsworth's "Lines composed a few miles above Tintern Abbey." I'll try to post them one day. :)

After eating our pasties we set of back towards Freshwater via Freshwater Bay...



After that we went back to the tent and had some pasta and played cards. :) So all in all it was a VERY enjoyable day.

I'd better go now as this TV program is on that I'd like to watch. I don't know if you've heard of it - it's called 'Waterloo Road'? ;)

Ciao for now xxxxxx

1 comment:

LarryC said...

Gosh! Those pictures are just gorgeous! What a lovely area that is. And The Needles are amazing to ponder. It sounds like you guys did a lot of hiking there. About how many miles, I wonder? A bunch, I bet. I wish you had ridden the carousel because I bet you would have liked it just as much now as you did in the past! Funny how that works, lol. Thanks for the great review and pictures. Awesome trip!