Monday, 4 May 2009

Camping! Part 1

Helloooo!

I'm back from a fantastic weekend of camping with my lovely boyfriend. :) It was great to go 'back to basics' and enjoy the simple things - walking, enjoying the sun and acting like proper grockles (Isle of Wight word for tourists). :)

So we arrived at our campsite on Saturday afternoon and set up our tent - which was actually a four man one - but it was good for us - I imagine it would've been pretty cosy for four!



Our tent is the closest to the camera - as you can see, the campsite was quite empty! It was a really nice site actually - good loos, clean etc. (O.K - so we weren't EXACTLY roughing it, but it felt like it.)

On Saturday afternoon we went out 'exploring' and walked into town to check out the shops and buy an ice cream and some playing cards - then we returned to the site and cooked our tea - chilli - mmmmmmm. :) Ben cooked :) I'm lucky - I have a pretty special cook for a boyfriend! :)

The next morning we got up and had bacon and eggs in pitta breads (cooked on the little stove we took with us) before setting off on a bit of an adventure. :)

We decided we'd walk to Alum Bay and then Tennyson Down and then back to Freshwater Bay and the campsite...I'll try to find a little map...



O.K. - It's not an amazing pic - but you get the idea! The route we took was the one that is turquoise on the map. We set off from the campsite in Freshwater and then walked along the beach at Colwell... a pretty gorgeous beach really and one that I don't think I'd seen before - Ben and I were continually saying how lucky we felt to live on the Island...



After walking along the beach we had to take a bit of a diversion to get the Needles - or Alum Bay - the very VERY western point of the Island, and ended up walking through a bit of a forest. I was a tad nervous that we were going to get a bit lost as everything seemed to look the same - but still had time to take some stupid piccies. :)



After walking through the foresty stuff for a bit we came to a clearing - which was very bizarre - it was like stepping onto a different planet - and a beautiful one at that...



After this we had to walk along some very narrow paths with spikey plants and nettles on either side (wish I hadn't worn shorts!) for quite a while before reaching the old battery from where we could see the Needles...



I'd better go to bed now, but I'll write some more tomorrow,

To be continued... ;)

Night night xxxxxx

3 comments:

LarryC said...

Oh my, how beautiful! The pictures are great. And I do agree with you guys that you are indeed very lucky to live there. Can't wait for the next installment! :)

Palhadein said...

Wow ! Great article ! It was like walking with the both of you...

nubie34 said...

What a lovely walk! I did it with my wife some years ago, it's inspirational. We also did the pink walk, lovely in the spring, but my wife nearly killed me for taking her round the beaches at Niton,(landslip), but there are some secluded, tropical looking beaches also. My fave place IOW!